At the heart of St Michael’s lies the belief that a school of quality and excellence provides a rich and comprehensive learning environment to ensure that when students complete their time at St Michael’s, they do so confident in the knowledge of who they are and what they are good at, and imbued with the skills, values and attributes that will enable them to be contributing citizens in whatever communities they choose to live as adults.
At St Michael’s, academic success is measured by the ability of our students to enter their next phase of learning in their preferred field, armed with confidence in their background, skills and ability to continue as confident learners. We are very proud of our students’ academic performance and congratulate all Year 12 students on their personal achievement. VCE success is their passport into a range of opportunities beyond school, and preparation for this is the School’s fundamental obligation.
- 52% of students received an ATAR of 80 or more
- 34% of students received an ATAR of 90 or more
- 15% of students received an ATAR of 95 or more
- 2% of students received an ATAR of 98 or more
- 16% of students received a study score of 40 or more.
2016 has been a magnificent year in VCE performances at St Michael’s with a range of student achievement, reflected by the fact that more than a third of the cohort achieved ATARs of 90 or better, and more than half the cohort had an ATAR of 80 or better. It is also a testament to the wonderful work by our teaching staff, who continue to go above and beyond in supporting every student during their VCE studies.
Of particular note this year is the strong scores achieved across a range of studies, including study scores of 40 and above for:
- 52% of our Physical Education students
- 50% of our Dance and Food Technology students
- 42% of our Biology students
- 40% of our Italian students
- More than a quarter of our History – Revolutions and Music Performance students.
The high level of results across the curriculum is a true reflection of the diversity of interests and abilities of St Michael’s students.
St Michael’s continues to encourage students to excel in areas of their passion and choice. It’s not just about channelling them into a narrow, limited stream of subjects; this is demonstrating the breadth of possibility for students at St Michael’s.
There were two perfect scores of 50, achieved in the following studies by the following students:
- English – Callum McDonald (12M)
- Mathematical Methods – Tanat Tippinyu (11K).
We also congratulate our Dux of the School, Ben Richards, who achieved an ATAR of 99.60.