Following the exceptional VCE results of our Class of 2019, January tertiary offers were released late last week.
St Michael’s students have a history for continuing to tertiary education and into various post school pathways, and many of our 2019 graduates have received a December or January offer that will allow them to take the next step into a tertiary course of their choice.
From our Class of 2019, 136 students completed VCE, and 127 of those applied for tertiary courses. Of the students who applied for tertiary entry, we are pleased to share that over 98% received a December or January offer. Two students did not receive an offer, but these students did not intend on continuing with their application.
Preparing our students for their future beyond St Michael’s is at the very heart of what we do. Throughout their VCE, students were supported by our committed teaching staff, who recognised their personal and academic strengths, and empowered them to tread their own path.
In order to guide students toward successful career choices, St Michael’s ensures they are well-informed about all the possibilities available to them, including tertiary education and career options. In their final years at the School, St Michael’s Careers Counsellor, Miss Robyn McKenzie, plays an important role in helping our students plan for their future by conducting individual interviews and group sessions that enable them to approach career opportunities with confidence, courage and purpose.
“As usual, and with great delight, there are a wide range of courses and interest areas that our students applied for. This reflects the opportunities and interests our students are able to embrace here at St Michael’s,” said Miss McKenzie.
Our 2019 graduates were offered places at a variety of tertiary institutions. Of our Class of 2019, 35 received a December or January offer at The University of Melbourne, 34 for RMIT University, 23 for Monash University, 13 for Swinburne University, 12 for Deakin, 6 for Australian Catholic University, 3 for Victoria University, and 3 for La Trobe University. Students also received offers from other tertiary institutions.
“Some courses appeared to be the perfect fit for our students. Many students had always dreamed of their one goal and achieved this. Other students researched and explored different opportunities to find a course that allowed them to move into a variety of different career directions,” said Miss McKenzie.
St Michael’s students are known for their diversity of interests and abilities, which is highlighted in the wide variety of single and double degree courses chosen. The majority of offers were for courses in the following areas:
- 44 offers in the field of Society and Culture (including Arts, Arts/Law, Arts/Psychology, Arts/Criminology, Criminology, Environment and Society, Forensic Science/Criminology, Global Studies, International Studies, Languages and Linguistics, Legal Practice, Politics, Philosophy and Economics).
- 30 offers in Creative Arts (including Advertising, Animation, Audio Engineering and Sound Production, Communication Design, Creative Arts (Screen, Theatre and Writing), Design, Design/Business, Drama, Fashion Styling, Fine Arts (Design and Production), Fine Arts/Visual Art, Fine Arts (Film and Television), Floristry, Media and Communication, Music Performance, Screen and Media/Television Production).
- 20 offers in Management and Commerce (including Business and Business/Marketing, Commerce, Commerce/Laws, Economics and Finance, Event Management, Management, Music Industry).
- 18 offers for Natural and Physical Sciences (including Biological Sciences, Biomedicine, Biomedicine/Engineering, Science, Science/Arts, Science Advanced – Research).
- 16 offers for Architecture and Building (including Architecture, Building Design, Construction Management/Property and Real Estate, Interior Design).
- 9 offers for Health (including Allied Health Assistance, Exercise and Sport Science/Sport Management, Nursing, Nursing/Business Administration, Nursing/Public Health and Health Promotion, Paramedicine).
- 9 offers for Engineering and related Technologies (including Aerospace Engineering, Electronics and Communications, Engineering, Engineering – Mechanical, Industrial Design).
- 2 offers for Information Technology (including Computer Science, Games Design, Information Technology/Arts).
- 1 offer for Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (including Commercial Cookery).
- 1 offer for Education (including Teacher Education Preparation).
Many of our students have also accepted offers interstate and overseas, while some have chosen to take a GAP year to work or travel.
We would like to congratulate our Class of 2019 on their outstanding achievements whilst at St Michael’s. We wish all students the very best for what lies ahead and look forward to following them on their journey as Old Michaelians.