fbpx
24 May, 2019 Community

Celebrating our volunteers: Maryanne Quealy

This week is National Volunteer Week, the annual celebration to acknowledge the generous contribution of volunteers across Australia.

The theme of National Volunteer Week 2019 is ‘Making a world of difference’. At St Michael’s, we are greatly supported by volunteers from the School community who give their time and expertise to assist in many and varied ways to make a significant difference in the lives of our students. Volunteers play a valuable role in supporting student endeavours and we are extremely grateful for their contributions.

St Michael’s parent Maryanne Quealy has been actively volunteering with the School for many years and has found her niche volunteering to run the School’s second-hand uniform service.

For me, volunteering is being grateful and I believe what I gain from the work far outweighs what I give. St Michael's parent, Maryanne Quealy

“I spent 20 years working in the fashion industry, so working amongst clothes, marketing and sales is something I am very familiar with,” said Maryanne. “We have a lovely group of people, all from different backgrounds who enjoy spending time together.”

A highlight of volunteering for Maryanne is the way that being involved helps to develop stronger connections between staff, parents and students.

“I love that volunteering builds a great sense of community and we all find the work fulfilling because we know we are making a difference,” said Maryanne.

For Maryanne being involved with the School has also had a positive effect on her children.

“It is great to witness the pride on your child’s face who enjoys seeing you involved in the School and being committed to their world,” said Maryanne.

Maryanne’s work in second-hand uniform sales has been invaluable, and St Michael’s thanks her for her generosity and ongoing support.

A version of this article appeared in The Crest, the new St Michael’s Grammar School magazine. Read the first edition of The Crest here.