fbpx
22 May, 2019 Community

Celebrating our volunteers: Mark Deshayes

This week is National Volunteer Week, the annual celebration to acknowledge the generous contribution of volunteers across Australia.

The theme of National Volunteer Week 2019 is ‘Making a world of difference’. At St Michael’s, we are greatly supported by volunteers from the School community who give their time and expertise to assist in many and varied ways to make a significant difference in the lives of our students. Volunteers play a valuable role in supporting student endeavours and we are extremely grateful for their contributions.

St Michael’s parent Mark Deshayes has been a valued volunteer at the School for many years and has reflected on his experiences volunteering with the School.

It is wonderful to experience what our small individual efforts can achieve when combined as a whole, and whatever you give of yourself it is given back to you in so many more and bigger ways.St Michael's parent, Mark Deshayes

Mark is father to Year 12 student Sam and is passionate about bringing communities together.

“I’ve always enjoyed being involved in anything that brings communities together, and when our family joined St Michael’s in 2014 I was keen to volunteer my time,” said Mark.

Mark has been involved in the Performing Arts program at St Michael’s, in particular, he has been a regular volunteer in the sewing bees for the School musicals.

“I don’t sew costumes, but I have taken on fabric cutting, weaving, hat, mask and accessory making, shoe painting, and anything else thrown my way,” he said. “I have met some lovely and very dedicated teachers and parents, and witnessed the commitment, passion and talent of the students in the orchestra, crew and cast.”

“It’s wonderful to celebrate what can be achieved through contributing together as a School community,” said Mark.

We would like to thank Mark, and all of our wonderful volunteers for their generosity and ongoing support.

A version of this article appeared in The Crest, the new St Michael’s Grammar School magazine. Read the first edition of The Crest here.