fbpx
05 December, 2019 Academic

Behind the Zines – Year 9 students share their creativity and talents

This term, our Year 9 students have been learning about and creating their very own magazines which they shared with students and staff during the recent Behind the Zines exhibition.

As part of the Year 9 English course students have been hard at work during Term 4 creating their own magazines called zines,” said St Michael’s Teacher, Ms Mary Vranic-Strahan. “Zines, pronounced ‘zeens’, are small, self-published magazines that are usually written by one person and distributed through an intricate network of individuals and collectives.”

To help the students get started on creating their zines, local artist and Co-Founder and Director of TooT Artspace, Jade Walsh visited St Michael’s to speak with the students.

During Jade’s engaging presentation, she gave the students an overview of zines and shared her experiences of making these publications. Jade also showed the students many examples, explaining their content and design to inspire our students to create their very own zines.

Behind the Zines – Year 9 students share their creativity and talents Artist Jade Walsh talking to Year 9 students about zines

Throughout the term the students have been working on their zines, exploring topics they are passionate about, writing stories and creating their designs.

I really enjoyed the freedom to do what I wanted and do it on a topic I was passionate about.Year 9 student, Tim

See some of the students’ zines below.

At the end of their unit of study, our Year 9 students hosted the Behind the Zines exhibition in Dolly’s Café, where they showcased their work.

Students also sold copies of their zines during the exhibition to raise funds for Sacred Heart Mission.

We would like to congratulate all Year 9 students on their zines, it was wonderful to see them engaged in their learning and passionate about bringing their ideas to life.