The School’s history began in 1895, when it opened as a day school for girls. It was founded by the Community of the Sisters of the Church, a religious order that sent some of its members to Australia to work towards the further education of girls.
St Michael’s has always been a caring and innovative school, from housing a lost dogs’ shelter in the 1890s to building some of the first specialist school science laboratories in the 1930s. The School grew steadily from its foundation until the end of the Second World War; boys had been admitted in Preparatory since 1962, and up to Grade 4 in 1976.
Headmaster Mr Tony Hewison’s two-decade tenure saw dramatically increased enrolments in the 1980s, with major expansion in Drama, Design & Technology, Information Technology, and Outdoor Education.
Mr Simon Gipson was appointed Head of the School in 2000, initiating a strong period of growth. A firm believer in student-centred learning, Mr Gipson has taken major steps to introduce a genuine K–12 program.
Several major building developments were initiated and completed during Mr Gipson’s tenure, including the Sisters’ Building, Wilma Hannah Hall, the Allan Pizzey Building, the Chapel of St Michael and All Angels, and The Gipson Commons.
Now flourishing as a K–12 School, St Michael’s is widely recognised as a centre of academic, cultural and sporting excellence. Yet while the School has grown beyond what the Sisters could have imagined, we proudly retain their values of dignity, respect, care and compassion.
Commencing in 2018 as Head of the School, Mrs Terrie Jones intends to created enabling conditions for students and staff of all genders to thrive, respect each other’s perspectives and gifts, and make meaningful contributions in our society.
Created in 2015, watch St Michael’s celebratory 120th anniversary video.