Limited 2019 places for girls
2020 applications now open. Apply online today.
Each day in Prep at St Michael’s, children are encouraged to explore, hypothesise, wonder and ask questions whilst using their many strengths.
We see children as strong, curious and capable co-constructors of their own knowledge. Our educators take a Reggio Emilia inspired approach to research, encouraging children to become autonomous learners.
‘Our task is to help children communicate with the world using all their strengths and languages, and to overcome any obstacle presented by our culture.’ Loris Malaguzzi, founder of Reggio Emilia’s educational philosophy
Research plays an integral part of learning at St Michael’s. It is through this method we are able to incorporate many of the children’s wonderings and draw on our curriculum objectives.
Children have the opportunity to choose their learning activities which provides ownership over tasks with the right support and a high level of pastoral care. The environment is seen as a third teacher and play-based learning is incorporated which is guided by children’s interests.
“I like how we talk about ideas in class; it’s how we learn.” – Mackenzie (Prep student)
When starting their journey in Prep, students become part of a House which assists in providing a sense of belonging and provides opportunities for connection and mentoring from students in the years above them.
Highlights of Prep at St Michael’s
- Strengths-based approach to learning develops positive language.
- Students explore technology and coding through the use of blue bots.
- Creative Dance is integrated into curriculum, as is a sequential Perceptual Motor Program (PMP).
- Grow Zone days provide opportunity for personal growth.
- The School’s core values of Dignity, Respect, Care and Compassion (DR CC) are central to learning, and our Prep learners become aware of these values through exploring and developing positive relationships and a strong sense of belonging.
- Students participate in the non-competitive Early Years Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics carnivals, with students from older year levels, and Kindergarten students.
‘I love creating in Art class. There are lots of props to play with and last year I even made jewellery for my mum last year!’ – Francesca, Year 1
Apply today via our online Waitlist Application.
To get a better sense of whether St Michael’s is the right fit for your child, view our online Prospectus or book your place at our next Open Morning to discover what St Michael’s Grammar School can offer your child. Open Mornings are a great opportunity to experience the School in action, speak to staff, and tour the facilities with current students.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Annual Fees And Charges 2019
- International Annual Fees And Charges 2019
- Terms And Conditions Of Entry
- Enrolment Policy