St Michael’s Year 5 students delivered an Energy Expo that drew attendance from parents and staff across the School on 7 September. From nuclear energy to the humble beginnings of wood energy, the students did a marvellous job of educating the St Michael’s community. Scroll down to view a snapshot of the presentations showcased on the day.

Lily (5I)

‘Here is a map of all the places in the world that have the largest tidal power plants, which creates electricity. If you have a low tide range you won’t generate much electricity and if you have a high tide range you’ll have a lot of electricity. The way electricity is produced from tidal power is that water firstly goes into a dam, and then it goes into a turbine, which then goes into a generator. The force of falling water creates the electricity.’

St Michael's Grammar School

Lily (5I) shares her project.

Luca (5M)

‘You can spin it if you want! Basically it creates no greenhouse gases, it’s pretty cheap and doesn’t make that much noise. It can power over 15,000 solar panels. It took me a while to make my model – it’s hard to make it stick with a glue stick!’

Luca (5M) and his impressive wind power model!

Eva (5EM)

‘Nuclear energy is made by nuclear fission, which is when a neutron hits an atom and then it splits and releases heat. This then boils water, which makes steam and turns a turbine to create electricity. I think that it’s very dangerous because it releases radiation, so if it’s released into the environment you cannot go there. It is a very expensive source of fuel and terrible for the environment.’

Eva (5EM) talks nuclear energy.

Lucy (5SG)

‘Wind power is a renewable energy, and it doesn’t run out – you can just keep using it. The power of the spinning turbine spins a coil, which is what creates electricity and then runs through the power lines. Some of the pros are that it doesn’t cause global warming, it creates a lot of electricity and it’s very cheap. The negatives are that sometimes birds fly into the turbines and it also causes noise pollution.’    

Lucy (5SG) talks us through the pros and cons of wind power.

Jimmy (5M)

‘So there’s a battery pack; it’s like a fuel tank for a gasoline car, which charges the engine. The electric cars were popular in the late 1900’s to early 2000’s, but then they became less popular because there were a bunch of cheap gasoline cars.’

Jimmy (5M) delivers a neat presentation on electric cars.

Liam (5EM)

‘Coal is a fossil fuel and there are four types of coal – peat, lignite, bituminous and anthracite. Coal is pretty bad for the environment as it causes lots of pollution. 76% of Australia’s electricity is powered by coal, so the electricity you’re using now is probably produced by coal. I think Australia down the track should use more solar energy.’

Liam (5EM) shares his thoughts on coal.

Akira (5I)

‘I’m doing solar energy; so the sun creates photons which hit the solar panel and then there are electrons, which become electricity. I have some layers of solar panel, which the light hits… there are protective layers, there are middle layers and I have a model of a solar panel house, as well as a map of Australia mapping where solar energy is most used.’

Akira (5I) demonstrates his knowledge on solar energy.

Charlie (5M)

‘Here’s a rundown of how hydropower works. The snow is picked up off the mountain and sent down a shoot until it reaches the hydropower plant. The water spins the generator and then produces electrons, which produces electricity.’

Charlie (5M) illustrates her hydropower model.

Isobel (5SG) and Oscar (5SG)

‘Wood is a fossil fuel, which is not that good. Positives about it – it doesn’t pollute the environment and it makes heat to keep you warm on a cold day. It’s also a pretty cheap source of energy as well as the oldest type of energy.’

Isobel (5SG) and Oscar (5SG) showcase wood energy.

August (5M)

‘Inside the tupperware is a turbine with these little microscopic motors connected to wires, which is connected to a machine. When I pour water into it, it shows a number of volts I’m making. It took me about two weeks to make. I chose hydroelectric power because I was interested in it, and it was also the first thing that came to my mind.’

August (5M) puts his hydroelectric power model in action.

Emese (5EM)

‘I chose tidal power, which is a renewable energy. Tidal power is otherwise known as a tidal energy that runs on water near coastlines, where tidal plants are planted. I have a video which outlines the production of tidal power, where it is used, the most powerful plants and much more.’

Emese (5EM) shows us her video on tidal power.

Charli (5M)

‘To create the wind, the blades on the wind turbine spin really fast, and if it’s really windy, more electricity will be made. When the electricity is made it goes underground further away from where the turbines are. There are also disadvantages because they can be really noisy. If you live near one, it’s really noisy and you can get really distracted.’        

Charli (5M) walks us through wind turbines.

Emily (5I) and Maya (5I)

‘This is our project on wind energy – it’s a renewable source of energy. How it works; the wind spins through the blades, and the blades are shaped so more wind goes over the top and the bottom. When blade spins and then it turns the main shaft and works the generator and then it goes through the powerline. We used straws, paper clips and paper to build it – it took quite a while.’      

Emily (5I) and Maya (5I) share their knowledge on wind energy.

Up Next

Book Week 2017: Celebrating Australian children’s literature

Each year across Australia, National Book Week brings children and books together. During this time schools, libraries, booksellers, authors, illustrators and children celebrate Australian children's literature. Book Week 2017 was held from 19 to 26 August, and to celebrate, St Michael’s hosted a number of exciting book-themed events and activities for students.

Learn more