As one of four recipients recently awarded the 2017 Women in Games fellowship by Film Victoria, Goldie Bartlett (OM 2008) is undertaking local and international opportunities to assist in expanding her skills, talent and knowledge as an illustrator and games artist.

St Michael's Grammar School

Upon successfully receiving a $25,000 grant, Goldie has come face-to-face with some incredible prospects internationally, as well as her very first trip overseas. ‘Studios in the United States, England, Finland, Germany and France so far have expressed interest in me working with them. I’ve also been invited to tour New York University, which has the world’s leading games design program.

‘I have never been in a position to travel internationally and working as an artist can definitely be called a slow-burn career. To be able to afford travel is exciting beyond belief,’ Goldie says.

Goldie looks forward to amplifying her creative perspectives. ‘A lot of the illustrations and games I have created are set in Melbourne or rural Victoria, so to travel the world will offer me a new perspective on my home town in addition to my work’, she adds.

Established in February 2016, the Women in Games fellowship aims to address the low representation of women working professionally in the games industry, and is exclusive to Victorian residents.

Goldie talks about the period of significant cultural change. ‘It was encouraging to see the state government continuing their support of game developers – Victoria is unique in this,’ she says. ‘To see a strong response to the calls for re-evaluation and support of women’s positions in the industry as well as the edgier creative parts of games was wonderful.’

Goldie is mindful of the responsibility that comes with the games fellowship. ‘It’s a big responsibility not only to myself but also to younger women approaching both art and games’, she says.

While on scholarship at St Michael’s, Goldie honed in on her illustration skills, which she was then able to interpret across to the digital landscape. ‘Art history at St Michael’s, as well as carefully tailored drawing and painting exercises certainly shaped my technical and critical skills.

‘As a student, I was always drawing on a tablet – a piece of hardware that plugs into the computer and acts as a surface to draw on. It’s very common now, but from 2005-2008, I was the only one’, Goldie reflects.

With so many opportunities at her fingertips, Goldie has her eye on the future. ‘I look forward to seeing what other work I do before settling down and focusing in on my personal business,’ she says. ‘I’ve taught at RMIT previously, and I would like to consider getting into teaching at any level down the track; be it absolute foundation learning at a junior level, more theory and practice in a secondary level, or drive and focused learning at a university.

‘Teaching feels like a really good ‘pay it forward’ career, once I have worked hard and enjoyed what’s ahead in my art career! I am certain that all of my St Michael’s teachers have inspired that long term goal,’ Goldie says.

Click here to view some of Goldie’s work.