fbpx
23 March, 2021 Extracurricular - Sport & Outdoor Ed

A swell time at the SEP Surf Weekends

Over two weekends in February and March, two groups of St Michael’s students set out to surf at Ocean Grove as part of our Skills Extension Program (SEP).

The Skills Extension Program is designed to provide students with opportunities to learn new skills, or to enhance existing ones. Students can develop their skills through outdoor experiences, in this case, surfing! The SEP programs are designed to be fun and focus mainly on the development of outdoor skills and friendships across year levels.

The SEP Surf trip was an amazing way to extend my surf skills and friendships with other year levels and teachers. Whether it was while catching some waves, singing songs on the bus, or just chilling at the campsite, I had a smile on my face the whole time.Kate (Year 10)
  • a-swell-time-at-the-sep-surf-weekends

Ocean Grove, located on the Bellarine Peninsula, is a surfer’s paradise visited by people from around the world who seek the clean swell and steady break.

Students and staff of all surfing abilities took part in lessons with local company Go Ride A Wave. The students participated in one lesson on Saturday afternoon, and two on Sunday.

It was incredible to get in the water at Ocean Grove and surf with my friends and Go Ride A Wave.Hugo (Year 8)

The lessons gave students the confidence to stand in the surf, catch waves by themselves, and equipped them with the knowledge to better understand the ocean. If students were finished with surfing, they could also choose to bodyboard, body surf, or just have fun in the waves.

The SEP surfing weekend was excellent! It was my first time surfing but it was magical to experience the waves of the ocean - even in the rain! I was impressed with the willingness to participate from all the students on the trip.Mr Jared Prentis, Teacher

In keeping with the rest of St Michael’s Outdoor Education programs, students on this trip were encouraged to take on increasing levels of responsibility. The group camped at a local caravan park and were given opportunities to explore the local area and to purchase their own food and drinks. The relaxed and casual environment of the Skills Extension Program allowed students to get to know their peers from different year levels, as well as their teachers and outdoor education staff.

I didn’t think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did, because I didn’t have any friends going, but I got to meet new people and by the end of it we felt like we could do it all again.Sienna (Year 7)

Students in Years 7 to 12 can look forward to two more Skills Extension Programs this year, which include skiing and snorkelling. For Year 6, the opportunities for 2021 are orienteering, rock climbing and sailing.

I would recommend everyone to go on a SEP camp at least once. I am looking forward to going next year!”Kate (Year 10)

Current parents can find more information on SchoL.