fbpx
23 March, 2023 Academic - Old Michaelians

Henry Dickson: Finding the right balance to achieve excellence

St Michael’s students are known for their diversity of interests and abilities, for immersing themselves in a breadth of learning experiences, and excelling in their chosen pursuits.

Exploring multiple interests, enjoying time with friends, making the most of every opportunity, and unearthing his true potential is how Henry Dickson (OM 2022) spent his time at St Michael’s. An exemplary leader, Henry was 2022 Co-Vice Captain and Prefect, while also participating in the Years 10 to 12 Musical: Hello, Dolly!, House Athletics, House Cross Country, House Swimming, Cricket and Football.

While Henry acknowledges the demands of juggling his studies with an extensive involvement in Co-curricular activities, he also found it rewarding when he established the right balance. Henry was able to fulfill his sporting and creative pursuits, while also achieving academic success, graduating with an outstanding ATAR of 99.6.

• henry-dickson-finding-the-right-balance-to-achieve-excellence
    ANZAC Day March (2022) with Mr Bruce Sampson.
    ANZAC Day March (2022).
“Over my six years at the School, I was lucky enough to be involved in a wide range of Extra-curricular activities. What I enjoyed the most during my time at St Michael’s was the opportunity to participate in so many different aspects of School life. I am also very proud of the work I did as part of the student leadership team, as well as my work backstage in the performing arts”.Henry Dickson

Henry took on a challenging combination of VCE subjects including Accounting, Chemistry, English Language, French, Biology and Mathematical Methods. While Henry enjoyed all his chosen subjects, he was especially fond of the time spent learning and experimenting in the St Michael’s science laboratories.

“I loved Chemistry because I found the pracs interesting and engaging, and it was satisfying to see how what we were learning in class translated into the real world. I also loved French, because, although it was difficult, it was incredible to see yourself gradually progress in your ability to speak another language.”

St Michael’s students on the French Exchange trip in 2019.
    Backstage at the 10-12 Musical 'Hello, Dolly!'.

When reflecting on his time at St Michael’s, one of the most significant and rewarding experiences was taking part in the French exchange program over the 2019 Christmas break.

“Being in a foreign country away from family pushed me out of my comfort zone, but I learnt a lot from it, made so many connections, and had an awesome time. Having done this trip gives me confidence for any future challenges.”

Henry’s advice for VCE students is to give new opportunities a try and put in as much effort as possible. For Henry, it was important to approach his studies with a positive mindset and commitment to hard work, rather than focusing on results.

Year 12 students in the first boys football after the last match.
    'Dress up as a teacher' day.

Henry has embraced the next challenge beyond St Michael’s, commencing a double degree in Engineering and Commerce at Monash University. He is also looking forward to discovering new parts of the world, with Europe, New Zealand and Asia at the top of his travel list.

We look forward to following Henry’s journey beyond School, as an Old Michaelian and wish him all the best with his studies.