fbpx
24 June, 2019 Academic

Felix selected to represent Australia at the International Science Olympiads

We are delighted to share the exciting news that Year 12 student Felix Pemberton-Adams was today announced as one of 17 brilliant young science students selected to represent Australia at the 2019 UNESCO-sanctioned International Science Olympiads in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Science.

The International Science Olympiads are the world’s toughest science competitions for high school students and are considered to be the Olympic Games for science students.

The International Olympiads are all about building relationships between different countries, it will be a great experience to meet people from so many different places. We also have a couple of days before the competition where we get to explore Budapest, which I’m really looking forward to.Felix Pemberton-Adams

The Australian team was officially announced during a ceremony at Parliament House in Canberra this morning where each member received an Australian team blazer.

Felix will compete at the International Biology Olympiad in Hungary from 14-21 July, where he will join high school students from over 70 different countries.

“The International Olympiads are unrivalled for their capacity to challenge our best students and unlock their potential to contribute to Australia’s scientific and technological future,” said Australian Science Innovations’ Chair and former Science Olympian Ben Kremer, who spoke at today’s ceremony.

Felix selected to represent Australia at the International Science Olympiads Felix with Ben Kremer and his fellow Australian Biology Olympiad teammates

To succeed in being selected for the International Science Olympiads, Felix had to outperform more than 6,000 other students from more than 321 schools in the qualifying exams to make the shortlist of 93 students who were invited to participate in the Australian Science Olympiads, a two-week summer school at Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra. You can read more about Felix’s experience at the Australian Science Olympiads here.

Felix selected to represent Australia at the International Science Olympiads Felix, second from the left, with the other Australian Science Olympiads biology program participants

At the conclusion of the Australian Science Olympiads, the students all undertook a further exam to determine who would be invited to attend the International competition.

Felix and three other Australian high school students were invited to compete against some of the world’s brightest young scientists in the International Biology Olympiad.

When I got the call to say I’d been selected for the International competition I was really surprised. It’s very exciting!Felix Pemberton-Adams

“I am very excited for Felix,” said Head of Science, Ms Von Hayes. “The competition is the ultimate challenge and a fantastic opportunity. I hope he enjoys Hungary and the start of his stellar science career.”

We are extremely proud of Felix, and congratulate him on this outstanding achievement and wish him all the best as he prepares for the competition in Hungary.