fbpx
09 July, 2019 Old Michaelians

Beyond the School gates: Professor Andrew MacLeod (OM 1985)

St Michael’s students choose many different pathways when they finish school, remaining connected to one another through our vibrant Old Michaelian network.

It is with pleasure that we are able to share the story of recognised global leader, negotiator and humanitarian, Andrew MacLeod (OM 1985).

Andrew is Non-Executive Chairman of award-winning Griffin Law, Non-Executive Director at Cornerstone Capital, and a Visiting Professor at Kings College London.

Recalling his time at St Michael’s, Andrew said, “I was amongst a group of recalcitrant trouble makers from a Melbourne independent school who made our way to St Michael’s in the early 80s.”

After failing Year 11 at my previous school and repeating Year 11 at St Michael’s, I found the learning environment and pastoral care to be much more genuine. Professor Andrew MacLeod (OM 1985)

Andrew went on to study Law and Arts at the University of Tasmania and completed a Masters of International Law at the University of Southampton.

Andrew is a recognised global leader, negotiator and communicator in the business, diplomatic and humanitarian fields, and in his limited spare time, continues his passion for swimming which he developed at school.

“I kept up my swimming after school winning the silver medal at the World Masters Games for the 200m butterfly,” said Andrew.

He is also a keen underwater photographer and has dived in many exotic and remote locations around the world including the Red Sea and the Antarctic.

Beyond the School gates: Professor Andrew MacLeod (OM 1985) Andrew diving in the Antarctic

Andrew is connected with our Old Michaelian network on SMGS Generation, our exciting new online platform designed to benefit students, past and present, by providing opportunities to link their learning to the career skills and experience of our extensive parent and Old Michaelian network. Find out more and sign up at smgsgeneration.com.

A version of this article appeared in The Crest, the new St Michael’s Grammar School magazine. Read the first edition of The Crest here.